The lead developer of the new mobile first BBC website talks about his design decisions for the site.
From a technical point of view it really looks like they've tried to keep up to date with the latest technology and methodologies to create a great user experience.
The article is a good read but just to highlight some important parts.
- They did prior testing with a few languages
- They didn't stick with PHP!
- The BBC homepage is now running Nodejs using Express
- Its completely modular so the website can be updated easily
- Well integrated
- Automated behavioural/unit tests are run across the website
We are building the Homepage mobile-first, using responsive design with responsive images to ensure an optimal experience and good performance on mobile devices, tablets and soon, the desktop. Keep an eye on the page over the coming months for the desktop version, and new ways to find and view the range of stories the BBC makes online.